The Teaching Council is the regulatory body for the teaching profession. It is a statutory body whose functions are set out in the Teaching Council Act 2001. These include the functions to:
- Regulate the teaching profession and the professional conduct of teachers
- Establish and promote the maintenance and improvement of standards of
- programmes of teacher education and training
- teaching, knowledge, skill and competence of teachers
- professional conduct of teachers.
- Promote the continuing education and training and professional development of teachers.
Teaching Council Website: www.teachingcouncil.ie
The ASTI, in common with the other teacher unions, supports the concept of an independent, statutory regulatory body for teachers as being an intrinsic dimension of teacher professionalism and vital to the status of the teaching profession.