Find the answers to frequently asked questions from non-permanent teachers.

Should I have a CID?

This is my fourth year teaching in the same school. The first year I covered for a colleague who was on leave, but since then I have had my own hours. Iím still on a fixed-term contract this year but wonder if I should now have a CID? How do I go about getting one?

In order to qualify for a CID you need to have been employed in a school for three years and there must be a viable need for your position in the school. You would not qualify for a CID if you had been covering for a teacher on leave in your third year, but since you were only covering in the first year this does not preclude you from obtaining a CID. You should read Circular letter 0034/09 to make sure you fit the criteria and if you feel you are entitled to a CID, bring this to your principalís attention. Contact us on 1850-418400 to discuss your situation further.

I have had a number of fixed-term contracts: am I entitled to a CID?

You may be entitled to a contract of indefinite duration (CID) if: you have been employed in the same school for three successive years; if you have not been covering for a teacher on an approved scheme of leave of absence in the third year and that was set out in writing; and, if the position remains viable. See Circular letter 0034/09 for the terms and conditions governing the granting of a CID.

If you believe you are entitled to a CID, confirm with your principal that they intend to offer you one for the next school year. If you are not offered a CID and feel you are entitled to one, contact your ASTI industrial relations representative for advice.

Entitlement to hours?

I have a fixed-term contract to teach French and Irish for 10 hours a week. One of the other French teachers in the school is retiring this year. That teacher has a permanent position; should I automatically get that job?


Firstly, it is important to note that the job may no longer exist when the teacher retires - for example, if your school is over quota. If the job does continue to exist, it may be absorbed through the granting of a CID to another teacher on the staff; it may be filled through the redeployment scheme; if the subjects match, the hours may be distributed to existing CID holders on less than full hours; and only then may it be advertised. If the post is advertised, you can apply for it, as can other teachers, but there is no guarantee that you will be awarded the position. Your first move should be to inform the principal that you are interested in the position or in the hours of the position.

Iíve heard that if hours become available in a school they should be offered to part-time teachers already on staff Ė is there a requirement for management to do that?


Department of Education and Skills circular 0034/2009 states that as ďfar as possible, employers should give consideration to requests by workers to transfer from part-time to full-time work or to increase their working time should the opportunity arise. In doing so, as with all teaching appointments, employers must have regard to the curricular needs of the school and the qualifications required for the post.Ē This circular is backed up by European legislation.

Management should examine the situation carefully and make every effort to increase part-time hours when they can. If you believe hours could have been given to you and were not, call us in Head Office.

Extra CID hours?

Iím hoping to get a contract of indefinite duration (CID) from next September. I know that this contract will be based on the hours I teach this year but I only have 12 hours at present. Can these hours be increased in the future if hours become available?

The number of hours included in a CID equates to the number of hours you held under fixed-term contract in the year prior to the granting of the CID. While you hold a CID, you can teach additional hours in the school, if they are available. However, these additional hours are not automatically included in your CID, meaning that they are not permanent hours.

A Department circular directs management, where possible, to offer available teaching hours to CID holders who are not on full hours. So, if hours become available in the subjects you are qualified to teach, you should be considered for these hours. If these hours meet CID criteria and are viable, they may be added to your CID in future.

Entitlement to job?

Am I entitled to a job in the next school year?

As is the case with any fixed-term contract, when your period of employment expires your employer is not obliged to offer you further work. However, if you have been in the school for more than a year and the position you hold remains viable or there are other hours available in your subject, you may have an entitlement to the position. You should discuss the situation with your principal and if in doubt, contact ASTI Head Office.

Summer pay?

Will I be paid over the summer months?

This depends on the type of fixed-term contract you hold. A teacher who is employed for the full school year to provide teaching for a specified number of hours during each week holds a pro-rata contract. This contract covers the period until August 31. If you hold this kind of contract, you will be paid each fortnight over the summer, as you would be during school term.

A teacher who is employed to work for more than 150 hours during the school year, but less than a full school year, is classified as a non-casual part-time teacher. If, for example, you are covering for a teacher on maternity leave, you will be paid an hourly rate based on your point on the salary scale and qualification allowances. You will not be paid over the summer. However, the rate of pay you received while working includes 56% holiday pay.

A teacher who is not employed on either of these contracts is classed as a casual part-time teacher. Any such part-time teacher is paid at a fixed hourly rate inclusive of holiday pay of 22%.

Unemployment benefit?

Can I claim social welfare for the summer months?

You can claim social welfare for periods when you are unemployed but your payments may be deferred or delayed because of the percentage of holiday pay you received while working. Even if the amount of holiday pay received means that your social welfare payment will be nil, it is advisable to claim benefit regardless in order to maintain your PRSI credits over the summer months. See for more information.

Incremental credit?

Can I claim incremental credit for the time I spend teaching on a non-permanent basis?

Pro-rata contracted teachers can claim incremental credit for each year worked on a pro-rata contract.
Non-casual contracted teachers can claim an increment if they work 600 hours in one year.
To claim incremental credit, casual teachers must reach a threshold of 300 hours in any year. They will receive an increment for each 600 hours worked.