What contract do you have?

Find out about the various types of non-permanent contracts, identify what type of contract you have and what it means for your salary, entitlements and teaching career

Your contract

The type of contract you hold depends on the reasons for the vacancy and the length of the vacancy.

You should always make sure that you have clear written information on the terms and conditions of your job, either in the form of a letter of appointment, a written contract, or a written statement.  It is important to keep this information as it may prove necessary in future.

This written information should let you know what kind of contract you hold. Alternatively, you can identify what type of contract you have and what it means for your job, salary and career below.

There are five categories of non-permanent teaching contracts:

Regular part-time contracted teacher (formerly known as pro-rata contracted)
A regular part-time teacher is appointed where the need for a teacher is viable for at least a year. For example, you would have a pro-rata contract where you are covering concessionary hour or for a career break.

Temporary whole-time teacher
A temporary whole-time teacher is appointed to work full hours on a temporary basis, normally for at least one year. For example, where you are replacing a teacher on secondment or the Department does not sanction a permanent position.

Non-casual part-time teacher
A non-casual part-time teacher is appointed where there is a specific need for a teacher for less than a year but more than 150 hours in total in the year. For example, if you are covering for a teacher on maternity leave.

Casual part-time teacher
A casual part time teacher is appointed where there is a casual need for hours to be covered. For example, where you are replacing a teacher on short-term sick leave.                    

Unqualified casual part-time teacher
An unqualified casual part-time teacher is an unqualified teacher employed on a casual basis for fewer than 150 hours per year.     

Regular part-time contracts, non-casual part-time contracts, and temporary whole-time contracts are fixed-term contracts.

CID contracts

A Contract of Indefinite Duration (CID) affords the holder the same rights and entitlements as a permanent teacher, except that their salary is based on the number of hours they teach per week. A CID holder on 18 hours or more per week is paid a full-time salary.

If you have been employed on two successive fixed-term contacts in the same school and meet other criteria, you may be entitled to a Contract of Indefinite Duration (CID).  Click here for more information on CIDs.


The Protection of Employees (Part-Time Work) Act, 2001
This Act means that part-time and temporary teachers cannot be treated less favourably than their full-time colleagues in terms of pay, pension entitlements, promotion posts, and general conditions of employment. Arising from this Act, the ASTI has negotiated an agreement, as expressed in Circular letters PPT 19/03 and 0029/2007.

Protection of Employees (Fixed-Term Work) Act, 2003
Following intensive negotiations between the ASTI, the Department of Education and Skills and the management bodies, the Implimentation Agreement - Department Circular 0055/2008 was agreed.