Non-casual part-time teacher

Non-Casual Part-Time Teacher

  • Contracted for more than 150 hours but for less than a full school year, e.g. covering for a maternity leave.
  • Paid weekly rate based on incremental salary entitlement ÷ 735 x numbers of hours per week.
  • There is no additional payment for holiday periods as this figure includes 56% holiday pay.

A non-casual part-time teacher is appointed where the need for a teacher is less than a year but more than 150 hours in total. For example, you would have a non-casual part-time contract where you are covering for a colleague on maternity leave.

Non-casual part-time teachers are employed to cover a prescribed number of hours each week.


Non-casual part-time teachers are paid salary for the duration of their contract and are not paid during the summer or other holiday periods. They are paid only for hours worked at an hourly rate, which includes holiday pay of 56%.  

To work out your correct weekly salary:
a) Determine your relevant point on the salary scale, and add allowances (if applicable).
b) Divide this number by 735 (this will give you your hourly rate of pay)
c) Multiply this by the number of hours you teach each week.

This will indicate how much gross salary you should be paid each week, before deductions. As teachers are paid every fortnight, you should multiply this figure by two to check if the 'gross salary' figure on your payslip is correct.  

Additional hours
Department Circular 0034/2009 directs schools to give consideration to requests by teachers to transfer from part-time to full-time work or to increase their working time should the opportunity arise. In doing so, as with all teaching posts, employers must have regard to the curricular needs of the school and the qualifications required for the post. Additional hours are paid at the same rate.

Incremental credit
Non-casual contracted teachers can claim an increment if they work 600 hours in one year.

Non-casual part-time teachers cannot be treated any less favourably than permanent teachers, in terms of pay, pensions, promotion posts and general conditions of employment, unless objective grounds exist and are set out in writing. They have the same access to training and the same entitlements to leave, including maternity leave (to the end of the contract), parental leave, carer’s leave, compassionate leave, etc.

Sick leave
Non-casual part-time teachers have an entitlement to paid sick leave not exceeding 91 days in any school year. This entitlement is pro-rata to the service capable of being given from commencement date to the end of the school year. 

Posts of responsibility
Non-permanent teachers are entitled to apply for posts of responsibility in second-level schools and their service of 200 hours or more in a year or 22 weeks or more in a year is reckonable as a year when calculating seniority. See Department Circular PPT05/02.

Frequently asked questions from non-casual contracted teachers

I have a contract to teach French and Irish for 10 hours a week. One of the other French teachers in the school is retiring this year. That teacher has a permanent position; should I automatically get that job?

Firstly, it is important to note that the job may no longer exist when the teacher retires - for example, if your school is over quota. If the job does continue to exist, it may be absorbed through the granting of a CID to another teacher on the staff; it may be filled through the redeployment scheme; if the subjects match, the hours may be distributed to existing CID holders on less than full hours; and only then may it be advertised. If the post is advertised, you can apply for it, as can other teachers, but there is no guarantee that you will be awarded the position. Your first move should be to inform the principal that you are interested in the position or in the hours of the position.

I’ve heard that if hours become available in a school they should be offered to part-time teachers already on staff – is there a requirement for management to do that?

Department of Education and Skills circular 0034/2009 states that as “far as possible, employers should give consideration to requests by workers to transfer from part-time to full-time work or to increase their working time should the opportunity arise. In doing so, as with all teaching appointments, employers must have regard to the curricular needs of the school and the qualifications required for the post.” This circular is backed up by European legislation.

Management should examine the situation carefully and make every effort to increase part-time hours when they can. If you believe hours could have been given to you and were not, call us in Head Office.

Am I entitled to a job in the next school year?

As is the case with any fixed-term contract, when your period of employment expires your employer is not obliged to offer you further work. However, if you have been in the school for more than a year and the position you hold remains viable or there are other hours available in your subject, you may have an entitlement to the position. You should discuss the situation with your principal and if in doubt, contact ASTI Head Office.

Can I claim social welfare for the summer months and periods when I am not working?

You can claim social welfare for periods when you are unemployed but your payments may be deferred or delayed because of the percentage of holiday pay you received while working. Even if the amount of holiday pay received means that your social welfare payment will be nil, it is advisable to claim benefit regardless in order to maintain your PRSI credits over the summer months. See for more information.

For more frequently asked questions for non-permanent teachers, click here