Unqualified casual part-time teacher

Unqualified Casual Part-Time Teacher

  • Not a qualified teacher
  • Employed on an occasional or non-regular basis, e.g. covering for sick leave.
  • Employed for less than 150 hours in school year.
  • Paid at a rate of €40.85 per hour (if first appointed to a Department paid position before January 1, 2011) or €36.76 (if first appointed to a Department paid position after January 1, 2011).  This figure includes 22% compensation for holidays.
  • If hours exceed 150, the hours over 150 paid at rate of incremental salary ÷735.

An unqualified casual part-time teacher is a person who is not qualified as a teacher but is appointed where there is an occasional or non-regular need for a teacher.

Unqualified casual part-time teachers are paid only for the hours they work, but their rate of pay includes 22% holiday pay. They are paid at a rate of €40.85 (if first appointed to a Department paid position before January 1, 2011) or €36.76 (if first appointed to a Department paid position after January 1, 2011)

To work out your correct weekly salary:
Multiply the number of hours you worked during the week by €40.85 / €36.76.

This will indicate how much gross salary you should be paid for that week, before deductions.

Sick leave
Unqualified casual part-time teachers have no formal entitlement to sick leave payment. Casual part-time teachers may, after three days of absence, be eligible for payment of Social Welfare Sickness Benefits during absences due to illness although this is dependent on the fulfillment of certain contribution qualifying conditions.

Obtaining teacher qualifications
Unqualified teachers cannot register with the Teaching Council. Teaching Council registration is required for all new appointments in schools, and will soon be a requirement in order to be paid from State funds.

Click here to find out about becoming a qualified teacher.

Frequently asked questions from unqualified casual part-time teachers

Can I claim social welfare for periods when I am not working?

You can claim social welfare for periods when you are unemployed but your payments may be deferred or delayed because of the percentage of holiday pay you received while working. Even if the amount of holiday pay received means that your social welfare payment will be nil, it is advisable to claim benefit regardless in order to maintain your PRSI credits over the summer months. See www.welfare.ie for more information.