Teachers are paid according to an incremental salary scale and may be entitled to extra allowances.
Two salary scales operate for teachers in second-level schools in Ireland.
Salary Scale and Qualifications Allowances for Teachers who entered Teaching before 1st January 2011
Teachers who were first appointed to a Department paid teaching position prior to 1st January 2011 are paid according to a common basic salary scale plus qualification allowances.
- Pre-2011 Common Basic Scale*
*This scale incorporates a 1% increase effective from the 1st October 2021.
- Hourly Rates for Pre-January 1 2011 Entrants to Post-Primary Teaching
- Qualification Allowances for those who entered teaching prior to 1st January 2011
Salary Scale and Qualification Allowances for Teachers who entered Teaching on or after 1st January 2011
Teachers who were first appointed to a Department paid teaching position between 1st January 2011 and 31st January 2012 are paid in accordance with the revised salary scale, which includes the Honours Primary Degree Allowance, and any applicable qualification allowances
Teachers who were first appointed to a Department paid teaching position on or after 1 February 2012 are paid in accordance with the revised salary scale which now includes the Honours Primary Degree allowance. See below to view this scale and allowances.
For further information please refer to circular 0056/2021.
Please note circular letter 0027/2016 allows for previous teaching service in an analogous teaching position in the public service of another EU member state to be recognised on the same basis as if the service was given in Ireland when determining the appropriate salary scale (and allowances where applicable) payable to the teacher.
- Post-2011 Common Basic Scale
*This scale includes a 1% increase effective from 1st October 2021 and inclusion of the Honours Primary Degree allowance on new entrant pay.
- Hourly Rates for Post-primary Teachers who entered teaching on or after 1st January 2011
- Qualification Allowances are not payable to those who entered teaching on or after 1st February 2012 apart from inclusion in the scale of the Honours Primary Degree Allowance from 1st January 2018.
Those who entered teaching between 1st January 2011 and 31st January 2012, and who are already in receipt of qualification allowances above that of Honours Primary Degree allowance level, will continue to receive these allowances.