Join more than 18,000 second-level teachers shaping the future of teaching and education.
ASTI membership is available to qualified second-level teachers working in recognised second-level schools.
What we do:
- We stand up for teachers’ professional status.
- We provide advice, support and legal representation as needed.
- We fight to protect your working conditions and professional integrity.
- We have negotiated a range of financial offers for you.
- We consult with you through surveys, ballots and our representative network.
- We bring you the latest news about your profession through our web, social media, publications, emails and texts.
- We provide training.
- We achieved 2-year CIDs.
- We took strike action to advance equal pay for post 2010 entrants to teaching.
- We are the only union working exclusively for second-level teachers.
How much does it cost?
- We calculate your membership fees depending on your salary and teaching hours.
- First year of union membership free. (subject to criteria)
Subscription rates for Department of Education / ETBI paid teachers
In general, subscription rates amount to .76% of your yearly salary. A member receiving a basic salary of €39,387 (gross basic salary) pays .76% of salary, amounting to €299.34 p.a. or approx. €11.48 per fortnight.
Any member receiving a basic salary of over €54,342 has their subscription capped at 1.05% of 1st point of pre-2011 salary scale which currently (1st October 2023) amounts to €413 p.a. or approx. €15.84 per fortnight.
Members on less than full teachers’ hours pay .76% of their pro-rata salary.
Subscription rates for school-paid teachers
|Contract Type||Payment due on Application||Annual Sub. 2023/2024|
|Permanent/Temporary Whole Time||1/4, 1/2 or full sub||€413|
|CID 18 Hours or more||1/4, 1/2 or full sub||€413|
|CID 11 Hours or more||1/4, 1/2 or full sub||Fraction of 22 hours (e.g. 11 hours is 11/22 = half subscription = €206.50 p.a. (October 2023)|
|CID Less than 11 hours||1/4, 1/2 or full sub||Fraction of 22 hours (e.g. 11 hours is 11/22 = half subscription = €206.50 p.a. (October 2023)|
|Fixed Term 11 Hours or more||1/4, 1/2 or full sub||Fraction of 22 hours (e.g. 11 hours is 11/22 = half subscription = €206.50 p.a. (October 2023)|
|Fixed Term Less than 11 hours||1/4, 1/2 or full sub||Fraction of 22 hours (e.g. 11 hours is 11/22 = half subscription = €206.50 p.a. (October 2023)|
Before You Apply
Department of Education paid teachers, ETBI paid teachers and school paid teachers
Before you begin the Join Online process, make sure you have the following to hand:
- Payroll number
- Teaching Council registration number
- Names of ASTI proposer and seconder (ideally your proposer and seconder will be from your local branch e.g. school colleagues)
- Membership numbers of proposer and seconder (this is not essential, but having these numbers helps us to process your application more quickly)
Student Teachers - For PME students or students in teacher training college/university
Before you begin your Join Online process, make sure you have the following to hand:
- Name of degree qualification
- Name of third-level institution & year of graduation
- Teaching practice- school name (if known)
Other Ways to Join
If you don’t want to join online you can download an application form and apply by post:
- Form for Department of Education / ETBI paid teacher
- Form for School Paid Teacher
- Form for Student Member - PME students or students in teacher training college/universities